Thursday, June 14, 2012

Challenging Beliefs from Jean-Baptiste Lamarck to Charles Darwin


1. Jean-Baptiste Lamarck I would strongly suggest had a huge influence on Darwin.

2. The contribution Lamarck is most commonly known for is “inheritance of acquired traits” and Organisms driven to greater complexity, the perfection that species reach over time, which I would personally reference as natural selection-but this wasn’t Lamarck’s main focus. Evolutionists acknowledged him as a “great zoologist and as a forerunner of evolution”. After reading more about Lamarck, I found his story rather sad. It mentioned that Lamarck had died in poverty and obscurity; how could a man with ideas that challenged everyone’s beliefs in society, die in this manner? Well, that’s exactly it; he challenged everyone’s beliefs.  The word "invertebrates" did not even exist at the time; Lamarck coined it.

3. The most accurate points from “How does evolution work?” that relate to Lamarck would be:
¤If the environment changes, the traits that are helpful or adaptive to that environment will be different.
“Nature, in producing in succession every species of animal, and beginning with the least perfect or simplest to end her work with the most perfect, has gradually complicated their structure." Lamarck believes that each species starts from,l ets say “basic” then creates and develops and evolves in a “perfect” form to function in its environment.

¤In order for traits to evolve and change, they MUST be heritable.
This was Lamarck’s main argument. “This rule -- that use or disuse causes structures to enlarge or shrink -- Lamarck called the "First Law" in his book Philosophie zoologique. Lamarck's "Second Law" stated that all such changes were heritable. The result of these laws was the continuous, gradual change of all organisms, as they became adapted to their environments.”

¤Individuals do not evolve. Populations do. Individuals cannot change their heritable traits. This I believe also represents what was written above.
“As Lamarck lectured his students in 1803, after ten years of research on invertebrates: . . . we perceive that, relative to the animal kingdom, we should chiefly devote our attention to the invertebrate animals, because their enormous multiplicity in nature, the singular diversity of their systems of organization, and of their means of multiplication, . . . show us, much better than the higher animals, the true course of nature, and the means which she has used and which she still unceasingly employs to give existence to all the living bodies of which we have knowledge.”

4. After I read question number 4, it made me giggle… for two reasons. Sometimes I feel angst against Charles Darwin. Something I need to personally work on, why do I feel this way? Religion. I am religious, BUT I am so fascinated with what I’m learning that I hope this angst against Darwin disappears. The other reason I giggled was because I felt as though Darwin stole a main concept from Lamarck… the quote is as follows:

“While the mechanism of Lamarckian evolution is quite different from that proposed by Darwin, the predicted result is the same: adaptive change in lineages, ultimately driven by environmental change, over long periods of time. It is interesting to note that Lamarck cited in support of his theory of evolution many of the same lines of evidence that Darwin was to use in the Origin of Species.”

I feel bad that we recognize Darwin for so many innovative ways of thinking, and yet men in the past have had similar ideas and they get the bad end of the stick and Darwin is this fabulous philosopher/scientist. (I already know I may get backlash for this-but I am curious to hear what other people who do believe in evolution have to say!)

5. From the research I did, I found lots about the church that fought against Darwin’s views, and rightfully so. He challenged everything they stood for, everything they taught and learned, the unknown is scary to people, even when there’s proof or not. I also did find a very interesting article on Darwin and the Church’s apology to him, found at: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/indepth/church-apologises-to-charles-darwin-over-theory-of-evolution/story-e6frewsr-1111117484124. It was said that John-Baptiste Lamarck questioned his faith when he took his first trip on the voyage of the beagle. Darwin had his reservations about evolution, and I believe with him wanting to become part of the Clergy, also offended the church a thousand times more then if he was just “an average man”. I also believe that with having such a deep passion for religion but also for his studies, really made him “triple clarify” every bit of research he did to be sure what he would publish would be true. 



Works Cited:

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/history_09

7 comments:

  1. Hi Carmen,
    I can respect your angst :) I don’t believe that Darwin gets all of the credit, if he did, we wouldn’t be able to complete this assignment. Through my research, I found many sources that state how others influenced him, and Darwin himself admitted it in his autobiography. Natural Selection is the core of Darwin's theory and it is a process that entails, variation, inheritance, high rate of population growth and differential survival and reproduction. I feel that Darwin, through his own research/experiments (years of it) was able to combine these individual ideas, and support his theory of evolution.
    I really appreciate the fact that you have been able to identify the feelings you have on this matter, are open about sharing them with us, and although you are as religious as you are, you are still excited about learning more about this topic with the hopes that you increase your knowledge and perhaps have somewhat of a change of heart about Darwin :)(I too feel that knowledge is power). I learned so much just from this assignment (reading/research/information offered by our professor and all of you), and after doing my own research, I went with someone else, but regardless, I appreciate your presentation, the time that you spent on it, and your feelings on the matter. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I am very excited to learn more about the topic we're studying. I full heartedly believe that knowledge is power... but I feel bad now that everyone felt that I had this angst against Darwin... I really need to smarten up! Your post was very kind, thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Carmen,
    I agree that Lamarck definitely had a very heavy influence on Darwin's thought considering the original idea of evolution and a mechanism for it really started with from Lamarck. However, it is the mechanism for evolution that Darwin receives so much credit for, especially considering that most people today that read about Lamarck's theory would give a nice laugh about a giraffe wanting a longer neck and getting it. Also, the concept of the Church fighting the against the unknown of Darwin's theory was an interesting point that really identifies the origin of the fear that was expressed. Great point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Carmen,

    I can agree with you a bit that Lamarck had some influence on Darwin; however, I believe that there were others that influenced him a bit more. I just find it a bit weird to think that if one does not use certain body parts they will shrink or disappear. The example he used with giraffes was kind of funny. Sorry I just do not think that is possible. I do agree that others should have gotten more credit for the Natural Selection theory, but I guess Darwin beat them to the punch by publishing it first!

    Great post!! I love your background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the openness you offer in terms of your own perspective in this matter. That said, I admit I cringed when you said "I am curious to hear what other people who do believe in evolution have to say!"

    :-) Sounds a bit like the discussion on the course blog!

    No one "believes" in evolution. It is not a faith. It is a process. You can understand it and value it as a way of explaining the world around you, or you don't understand it, but belief has nothing to do with it. Take that mental step and you are on the right track!

    I find your anger at Darwin for the credit given him for evolutionary theory interesting. No one in science works in a vacuum. All science is built on the back of other scientists and their accomplishments. But in the case of Darwin, while his ideas may have similarities to Lamarck's work, there is a very important difference:

    Lamarck's theory involves change in an individual, which is actually not possible from a genetic point of view. Darwin recognized that change occurs in a population, not an individual, as certain "types" are selected over others. Variation occurs in populations and the type that fits best is the one that is selected and thrives.

    Good exploration of the ideas here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I mean, I feel as though I have a bias towards Darwin, even before I've learned anything about him! I feel since he does challenge what I stand for, I already have a slight anger towards him. Which is NOT fair at all. I mean if Darwin took ideas from an earlier scientist who was working on a cure for cancer, would I show hostility? No. I do need to take a step back and realize this is science, and avoid using my own views in what we're studying. And I know have to learn to take the word "believe" out because it a process not a faith. I'm slowly learning, I promise!

      I am eager to know more about evolution and the process, from those who have a better understanding of it than myself. :)

      Delete